Welcome to the DMC Hutzel Women’s Hospital Birthing Center
Having a baby is a joyous time for you and your family. Located in Midtown Detroit on the DMC campus, the team at DMC Hutzel Women’s Hospital Birthing Center combines nationally recognized obstetric care with our compassionate staff, comfortable
rooms and advanced technology.
In fact, DMC Hutzel Women’s Hospital has been ranked multiple times by U.S. News & World Report as one of the nation’s best obstetrics and gynecology hospitals. Hutzel, in partnership with Wayne State University, is one of the top teaching and research hospitals in Michigan.
DMC Hutzel Women’s Hospital specializes in the care of both traditional and high-risk moms and babies, and offers the only Maternal Special Care unit for pregnant women in the tri-county area.
Our spacious, private postpartum suites are designed to make mothers and their families feel right at home. Our comfortable rooms include many special amenities that mothers and their families have asked for, including sleeping accommodations for
their support person, a large flat screen television and internet access. Some other features include:
- Nurses with advanced training and certification in breastfeeding support, fetal monitoring, obstetrics and neonatal care
- Showers in labor/delivery rooms for added comfort during labor
- Advanced surgical suites designed for C-sections
- Mother/Baby Unit for moms and babies to share a spacious, private room
- Comfortable sleeping accommodations for birthing partners
- Certified lactation consultants for hands-on assistance
- Maternal Special Care unit for close monitoring of pregnant women with complex medical conditions
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) for babies requiring more advanced medical attention
- Special Care Nursery for babies who require closer monitoring
- 24-hour security camera monitors
- Social workers for mothers in need of resources and assistance
Labor and Delivery Options
Every expecting mother wants to have a unique birthing experience which meets her needs. DMC Hutzel Women’s Hospital is pleased to offer options to help customize your hospital birth experience:
- Anesthesia – provides various options for labor pain relief and comfort management
- Wireless Monitoring – allows you to move more freely while accurately monitoring vitals
- Showers During Labor – available in each of our private labor/delivery rooms
- Birthing Ball – can help women get into positions that may alleviate discomfort, help position the baby for delivery, prevent back strain and encourage the progression of labor
- Music Therapy – available for patients who want to bring and play soft music during their labor
Post Delivery Options
We offer a range of support after you deliver your bundle of joy including lactation and pelvic pain/incontinence services. To learn more, visit the General Obstetrics Services page.
My Labor & Birth Preferences
Please download and complete or ask your provider for a copy during your next visit. This indicates your preferences to help us better personalize and prepare for your labor.
Please discuss labor and delivery options with your OB/GYN or healthcare provider.
Advanced Care for Mothers
No woman wants to hear that there may be complications with her pregnancy. If this happens, you’ll want to know that you’re in highly-skilled hands. DMC Hutzel Women’s Hospital has maternal-fetal medicine physicians, also called perinatologists, who focus on the diagnosis and treatment of women who are at high risk for problems during pregnancy.
- Are obstetricians who have also completed additional years of training in high-risk pregnancy and have experience with medical complications during pregnancy, higher risk pregnancy-specific conditions, obstetric ultrasonography, prenatal genetics, prenatal
diagnosis and fetal therapies
- Work with your obstetrician to coordinate prenatal care along with specialized testing and procedures to ensure the best possible outcome