Welcome to the Harris Birthing Center
Having a baby is one of the most beautiful, life-changing moments a family can experience. Located in Commerce, the Harris Birthing Center at DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital is designed to help make your birthing experience as healthy and happy as possible.
The Harris Birthing Center has earned a reputation as one of the area’s best in obstetrical care. Widely regarded for our skilled staff and extensive capabilities, we are recognized by mothers for our personal approach.
Awards & Recognition
Top-Performing Hospital for Obstetric Care
Our providers are dedicated to creating a positive birthing environment for our community. From empowering to preparing expectant mothers, our providers approach every birth with compassion.
We are especially proud to be named a top-performing hospital, according to the Obstetric Initiative. The Obstetrics Initiative is an organization dedicated to providing quality obstetric care to the state of Michigan. The survey results
are based on birth volume, cesarean rate and around the birthing process.
As a top-performing hospital, we have a cesarean rate in the lowest 25th percentile and are recognized for our positive birthing culture.
The Spinal Column’s 2022 Best of West Oakland Reader’s Choice Award Winner
Voted #1 Preferred Baby Delivery & Birthing Hospital
Voted #1 Preferred General Hospital Care for Family
2021 Michigan Alliance for Innovation on Maternal Health (MI AIM) Gold Level Designation
Demonstrates our commitment to improve the quality of care for moms and reduce maternal health issues
Our 22 spacious, all-private birthing suites are designed to make mothers and their families feel right at home. Our comfortable rooms include many special
amenities that mothers and their families have asked for, including sleep chairs for their support persons, personal refrigerators, large flat screen televisions, and internet access. Other features include:
- Wireless monitoring
- Essential oils
- Early labor walking paths and activity stations
- Clear drapes for family-friendly C-sections
- Nitrous oxide for labor pain and comfort management
First Family Photo Wall
Before you leave, we invite you to take your first family photo in front of our “First Family Photo wall” near the Harris Birthing Center main desk. If you post on Facebook, tag Harris Birthing Center page.
Labor and Delivery Options
Every expecting mother wants to have a personalized birthing experience that meets her needs. The Harris Birthing Center is pleased to offer a variety of birthing options:
- Wireless Monitoring
– move more freely while accurately monitoring vitals
- Showers During Labor
– available in all of our private labor/delivery rooms
- Birthing Ball
– can help women get into positions that may alleviate discomfort, help position the baby for delivery, prevent back strain, and encourage the progression of labor
- Music Therapy
– patients may choose to bring and play soft music during their labor
- NOW OFFERING Natural Birthing
We offer a range of delivery options. To learn more about all of our birthing options, sign-up for our birthing class.
Post Delivery Options
We offer a range of support after you deliver your bundle of joy including lactation and pelvic pain/incontinence services. To learn more, visit the General Obstetrics Services page.
My Labor & Birth Preferences
Please download and complete or ask your provider for a copy during your next visit which indicates your preferences to help us better personalize and prepare for your labor.
Please discuss labor and delivery options with your physician or healthcare provider.
Advanced Care For Mothers
Maternal-Fetal Medicine Clinic
The Maternal Fetal Medicine Clinic at DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital provides exceptional, personalized care to address any complications of pregnancy. Maternal Fetal Medicine (MFM) specialists, also called perinatologists, focus on the diagnosis
and treatment of women who are at high risk for problems during pregnancy. These providers are obstetricians who have also completed additional years of training in high-risk pregnancy, and have advanced skills in medical complications during
pregnancy, higher risk pregnancy-specific conditions, obstetric ultrasonography, prenatal genetics, prenatal diagnosis and fetal therapies.
Backed by the knowledge and skill of board certified Maternal-Fetal Medicine providers, the clinic works with your obstetric provider to coordinate prenatal care along with specialized testing and procedures to help ensure the best possible outcome.
The clinic offers Maternal Fetal Medicine Specialist consultation as well as prenatal testing and procedures using some of the latest innovations in technology and standards of care – physician referral needed.
Location: DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital Operating Room Hallway (across from Harris Birthing Center waiting room)
Hours of Operation: Monday – Thursday, 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.
For more information, please call 248-937-5053.
To learn more about DMC care, visit the High Risk Pregnancies page.
Advanced Care for Babies
Special Care for Special Circumstances
For those born prematurely or with special needs, the Harris Birthing Center has a Special Care Nursery.
Powered by Children’s Hospital of Michigan, the Special Care Nursery has experienced NICU nurses that care for newborns in need of more dedicated attention. As an added resource if a newborn has a unique set of health challenges, specially
trained Children’s Hospital of Michigan neonatologists round on patients and also provide 24/7 coverage.
Children’s Hospital of Michigan is consistently recognized by U.S News and World Report as one of the top children’s hospitals in the country. Our partnership provides connectivity to their Level IV NICU, the highest level of NICU
care available, and comprehensive number of pediatric specialists, offering easy continuity of care between obstetric and pediatric services.
PANDA One (Pediatric and Neonatal Dedicated Ambulance), the state's only pediatric and neonatal dedicated transport service,
is on-call, via ground and air, to provide specialized transportation for children and newborns that need to receive care at Children’s Hospital of Michigan in Detroit.
To learn more about advanced care for babies, visit the Advanced Care for Newborns page.
Meet Your Care Team
- Obstetric (OB) House Physician – in house, 24/7 to care for women before, during and after delivery
- Medical Doctor of Anesthesiology (MDA) – specialize in anesthesia care, pain management and critical care medicine
- Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) – advanced practice nurse in house, 24/7 to administer and monitor patients receiving anesthesia and other medications
- Neonatologist – on staff and available for the treatment and care of newborn babies requiring specialized care
- Maternal Fetal Medicine (MFM) physician – on staff, specially trained to diagnose, monitor and treat pregnancy complications in women and their unborn children
- Pediatrician – in house, 24/7 to care for babies, children and teens
- Registered Nurses (RNs) – obstetric nurses have been trained with neonatal resuscitation, advanced cardiac life support and electronic fetal monitoring
- Lactation Consultant – registered nurses (RNs) that help moms to breastfeed as well provide prenatal education and preparation for expecting couples
- Obstetric Associate (OBA) – assist in the care of moms and babies in collaboration with physicians and nurses
- Unit Clerk – responsible for greeting families, directing traffic in and out of the unit, answering the phone and processing charts
We offer several different classes:
- Birthing center classes to help you prepare for childbirth and life with new baby.
- Bringing baby home take a close look at newborn behavior, nutrition, and hygiene.
- Breast feeding classes and lactation consultant support
All classes are now virtual.
Looking to tour our birthing center? Tours are available on Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m. and Saturdays at 1 p.m. Only 5 couples allowed per tour (no children please) so preregistration is required.
To register for a tour, call us directly at (248) 937-5220.
After your tour date is confirmed via phone, please meet us in the Harris Birthing Center. Please enter the hospital through the North Orchard entrance.
Click here for a virtual tour of the Harris Birthing Center.