Detroit Medical Center (DMC) is a leader in all key surgical disciplines. We recruit physicians that are best-in-class in their field, and we serve as a training ground for surgical specialists in areas such as:
- Bariatric surgery
- Pediatric surgery and more
Our focus on providing you with expert, compassionate care begins with our electronic medical record, and includes every step of the surgical process from pre-surgical preparation to post-surgical care and rehabilitation.
We now routinely use robotic surgery (minimally invasive procedures) for:
- General surgery
- Women’s reproductive surgery (Gynecologic Surgery)
- Urological surgery
- Thoracic Surgery
- Bariatric Surgery
- Colorectal Surgery
In addition, DMC’s solid organ transplantation department is a regional leader in the discipline.
For an appointment, a second opinion or more information, please call (888) DMC-2500.
Adult Surgical Services
When surgeons at other hospitals are faced with difficult and high-risk cases, they often look to surgeons at Detroit Medical Center, including DMC Harper University Hospital, DMC Detroit Receiving Hospital, DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital and DMC Sinai-Grace
Hospital. DMC surgeons are nationally known for:
- Pioneering innovative surgical procedures.
- Providing the highest level of care for complicated and high-risk cases.
- Teaching a new generation of highly skilled surgeons.
DMC is a leader in surgical technology and research. Our Minimally Invasive Surgery Programs feature advanced equipment — including the daVinci® Surgical System powered by the latest robotic technology at Harper, Sinai-Grace and Huron Valley-Sinai
At Harper, an onsite surgical simulation lab gives surgeons an opportunity to spend hours practicing new laparoscopic surgical procedures before performing them on patients. Harper University Hospital and Wayne State University are an official test center
for surgeons interested in becoming certified in the Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery (FLS).
DMC surgeons are experts in:
- Bariatric surgery
- Cardiothoracic procedures
- General surgery
- Gynecologic surgery
- Oncologic procedures
- Oral surgery
- Orthopedic surgery
- Plastic surgery
- Sinus surgery
- Kidney transplants
- Urologic surgery
- Vascular surgery
As leaders in clinical research, DMC surgeons bring many of their discoveries and innovations into the surgical suite — often leading to improved outcomes for patients.
Pediatric Surgical Services
Through our academic affiliation with Wayne State University and Michigan State University, DMC Children’s Hospital of Michigan is an innovator in education and research offering residency and fellowship training as well as extensive research to
improve future treatment options for you.
From appendectomies to heart transplants, we are proud to offer you the state’s widest range of pediatric surgery options, with a multidisciplinary team of surgeons and other health care providers delivering an unparalleled level of pediatric surgical
If your child requires surgery, in some cases multidisciplinary care is required with pediatric surgeons from different subspecialty areas working together to provide the best care to children with complex injuries or congenital anomalies. Having these
multidisciplinary pediatric surgical teams readily available is one of the many advantages of treatment at DMC Children’s Hospital of Michigan. As an added convenience, DMC offers outpatient surgery in several pediatric specialty areas at the
DMC Surgery Hospital in Madison Heights.
Other key advantages of choosing DMC Children’s Hospital of Michigan for treatment for your child include:
- We offer innovative surgical and medical technologies such as robot-assisted, minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery.
- We are home to Michigan’s top pediatric imaging center.
- Our pediatric imaging staff are experts at using advanced imaging technologies and kid-friendly protocols to get the best images from children of all ages.
- Having the best image possible can be vitally important in preparation for delicate surgical procedures.
- An expert team of pediatric anesthesiologists supports the surgeons of Children’s Hospital of Michigan.
- By focusing on children, our anesthesia team is able to provide a precise level of anesthesia or sedation in a kid-friendly environment.
- Children's Hospital also has its own pain service run by anesthesiologists that are available to assist with post-operative pain management 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Child Life Specialists will work closely with your child to help them understand upcoming surgical procedures and the recovery process. For those in need of rehabilitation, pre and post operation rehabilitation services are also available.
The surgeons of DMC Children’s Hospital of Michigan are committed to providing your child with innovative surgical options for the treatment of injury, disease and congenital anomalies. They also work hard to reduce the need for surgery through
a number of injury prevention programs.
For further information about pediatric surgery, please contact us or call (313) 745-KIDS (5437) or toll-free at (888) DMC-2500.