DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital Earns Level III Trauma CenterOct 25, 2021
Commerce Township - DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital has achieved designation as a Level III Trauma Center from the Michigan Department of Health & Human Services. The designation is for a three-year period.
The designation follows a thorough on-site review by the state confirming the hospital is providing optimal trauma care. The Level III Trauma designation is culmination of nearly two years of collaborative work and preparation between hospital leadership, physicians, nurses and staff to ensure the hospital met the Level III designation criteria.
“Achieving Level III Trauma Center status is a reflection of our commitment to ensuring the people of our community are receiving advanced and high quality emergency care,” said David McEwen, chief executive officer at DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital. “This shows local residents that they can rely on and trust their local community hospital for critical trauma care.”
According to the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, Level III trauma centers have a demonstrated ability to provide prompt assessment, resuscitation, surgery, intensive care and stabilization of injured patients. The Level III Trauma Center at DMC Huron Valley -Sinai includes:
- 24-hour immediate coverage by emergency medicine physicians and the prompt availability of general surgeons and anesthesiologists.
- 100% of Emergency Department and Trauma Surgery physicians are trained in Advanced Trauma Life Support.
- Emergency Department Nurses certified in Trauma Nursing Core Course and Emergency Nursing Pediatric Course.
- Offers surgical residency program in partnership with DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital. Trauma Medical Director, Dr. Ryan Shelden, is a board certified surgeon and fellowship trained in critical care.
- Provides specialize care in orthopedic trauma with a full team of neurosurgeons available around the clock.
- Offers continued education of the nursing and allied health personnel or the trauma team.
- Involved with prevention efforts and must have an active outreach program for its referring communities.
Last year the emergency department at DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital had more than 20,000 patient visits.