Professional Team Coverage
Sports Medicine Fellows work with faculty physicians covering games for the Detroit Red Wings (NHL)
Amateur Team Coverage
All Sports Medicine Fellows will cover their “own” high school team during their year of tenure. Coverage includes pre-participation physicals, game coverage, and other event coverage throughout the year. High school coverage is focused primarily on football games but other sports may be covered for the school as well.
In addition to opportunities working with school, club and semi-professional teams, another integral component of DMC Sports Medicine outreach is participation in key athletic events in the city. Some of the key events include:
- Detroit City Football Club (DCFC) – Men’s & Women’s Team
- Detroit Grand Prix in Detroit
- Xenith Prep Kickoff Classic
- Detroit Women’s Half Marathon on Belle Isle and other community races and events
- Detroit Police 5k
- Heels & Wheels Handcycle and 5k event
Community Education Programs
In addition to providing immediate access to physicians and health care services to the schools and clubs, the DMC Sports Medicine team provides schools and clubs with educational programs. Some of these programs, which involve the fellows, include:
- Boot Camps - Three-hour sessions in which physicians, therapists and trainers give lectures, exercises, and assessments related to a specific sport.
- Pre-participation sports physicals - Our team of physicians and trainers go to schools and provide the required physicals and paperwork necessary for the athlete to participate in their sport.
- Pre-season screenings - We screen teams of athletes to assess each athlete’s flexibility, strength, and right to left asymmetries.