Sports Bag Essentials
Whether you’re a first-time high school athlete or a veteran, having a well-equipped sports bag, which is easy to fill, store and grab, will help you perform at your best. Here are some sport bag must-haves.
- Filled Water Bottle
Properly fitting equipment for your sport
Instant cold/gel packs
Extra set of dry clothes
Once you have all the gear you need, it is important to think about sports safety. According to StopSportsInjuries.org, high school athletes account for an estimated 2 million injuries a year.
These basic safety tips can help you perform at your best and reduce your risk of injury.
- Warm up and stretch before and after games and practices. A typical warm up should take at least 10 minutes.
- Stay hydrated before, during and after activity
- Tell coaches and other adults if you’re in pain. Toughing it out could lead to bigger problems.
- Learn the sign and symptoms of a concussion. This information is important for coaches, parents and athletes to know.
- Avoid overuse injuries. Athletes should take at least one or two days off each week from any particular sport.