DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital Cancer Support Services
At DMC Huron Valley Sinai Hospital, we believe in treating the whole person – emotionally and physically. Support for cancer goes beyond the latest treatment options and advanced medical expertise. A cancer diagnosis can impact your relationships, work, and finances and leave you feeling lost and vulnerable. Our oncology social worker is available to all cancer patients, to provide support, education, referrals and counseling through every phase of your cancer. It’s a cancer support service you won’t find at other hospitals.
Our oncology social worker can help you:
- Access information to help you understand your diagnosis
- Cope with your diagnosis of cancer and the many emotions you may be feeling
- Consider decisions about treatment options in light of work, family and what’s important to you
- Understand social security benefits, disability benefits and insurance coverage
- Apply for programs that offer financial assistance.
“We try to meet every cancer patient when they are diagnosed to learn about what is going on in their life,” says Teri Sahn-Silver, certified oncology social worker. “All the normal stresses of life – work, family, finances – take on new dimensions when you’re dealing with cancer.”
Our oncology social worker can help you access:
- Affordable medical care and prescription drug coverage
- Transportation to and from medical care
- Home health care and hospice treatment
- Agencies who provide help at home
Teri explains that she helps not only the patient, but family members too. “A lot of times the family needs support for cancer as much or more than the patient, because the family is taking on new roles and trying be cheerleaders.”
Our oncology social worker can teach you about:
- Talking with your doctors and treatment team members
- Coping with emotions – sadness, anger, worry and fear
- Reducing stress and relaxation skills
- Complementary and alternative medicine
- Planning for your care with the use of advance directives
- Life as a cancer survivor
DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital’s oncology social worker is licensed and board-certified through the Association of Oncology Social work. This cancer support service is free of charge, and is open to all cancer patients throughout their diagnosis, treatment and recovery.
How can you learn more?
To make an appointment for cancer support with the oncology social worker, talk to your doctor, or call Teri Sahn-Silver at (248) 937-5163.