Comprehensive Program at the DMC
Making the decision to lose weight is a big step forward, and it isn't always easy. That's why the right team makes all the difference. With our Your New Self: DMC Weight Loss Solutions program, we're here to help you every step of the way.
We want to be your partner, not just your doctors. We strive to build a community, standing by our patients for as long as necessary to enact meaningful improvement and change from the inside out. We take our responsibility as medical providers seriously and work closely with each patient to find the ideal combination of medical and surgical solutions to put personal goals within reach.
We believe in thorough education, providing as much detail as necessary to ensure our patients are as prepared for bariatric surgery as possible. This includes our preliminary testing and consultation process, which is always performed in a careful, convenient, and timely manner to alleviate fears and minimize the risk of complications.
Specialty Support Services
We want you to do more than just lose weight. We want to see you become as strong and healthy as you can be and we will work with you to address secondary health challenges as well as treating obesity. Our bariatric treatment is complemented by our specialty support services, including:
- Surgical ICU
- Cardiovascular Services
- University Laboratory
- Endocrinology Department
- Full-service Radiology Department including Interventional Radiology
- Specialized Hypertension Program
- Pulmonary Services
- Diabetes Education Program
- Sleep Study Program
When you have bariatric surgery at the DMC, you can rest assured that we have your comfort in mind. All private rooms include wider doorways, reinforced toilets, traction-equipped beds and bariatric-friendly furniture.
Our Doctors Set Us Apart
The right medical support can make a world of difference in promoting safe and effective weight loss. Our doctors are at the cornerstone of our comprehensive approach to weight loss solutions, offering advanced techniques designed to produce excellent outcomes with minimal complications. Assisting them is our dedicated team of registered nurses, physicians’ assistants, and advanced practice nurses to help ensure every patient receives safe, high quality and compassionate care.
While bariatric procedures are extremely important in promoting healthy weight loss solutions, surgery is just the beginning. At the Detroit Medical Center, we provide our patients with resources before, during and after surgery, offering a network of support to help ensure long-term weight loss. Our patients have the opportunity to work with a wide range of knowledgeable specialists, including nutritionists, exercise physiotherapists and clinical coordinators.
From sophisticated surgical treatment to compassionate and caring guidance every step of the way, we're ready to help you on your weight loss journey.
Accreditations, Recognitions & Certifications
- Accredited (since 2015) Comprehensive Bariatric Surgery Center by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP), in partnership with the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) and The American College of Surgeons (ACS)
- MBSAQIP is the new national standard of accreditation. Previous designation held since 2006 as a Center of Excellence by the Surgical Review Corporation (SRC)
- Blue Distinction Center for stapling procedures
- Blue Distinction Center for banding procedures
- Cigna 3-Star Quality Center of Excellence Bariatric Surgery Center
- First hospital in Michigan to earn the Joint Commission Gold Seal of Approval, Disease Specific Certification for Morbid Obesity
- Participation in the Michigan Bariatric Surgery Collaborative (MBSC) (active since 2006)
- Preferred Provider for the Ontario Ministry of Health