The Department of Anesthesiology at the Detroit Medical Center (DMC) is one of the largest and most comprehensive anesthesia services in Southeast Michigan. In addition to serving patients at DMC hospitals, we provide anesthesia and pain management services at all DMC facilities, including multiple outpatient surgical and imaging centers.
Our high patient load means DMC is one of the busiest medical centers in Southeast Michigan, providing high-quality, compassionate care to all patients. In addition to our general anesthesia services, we also provide expert pain management services in outpatient clinics.
Anesthesia Services are provided by a physician-directed anesthesia care team, providing medical direction and education to more than 100 certified nurse anesthetists, 40 resident physicians, 20 student nurse anesthetists and many clinical nurse practitioners and anesthesia technicians.
Together, we strive to continually exceed our current standards of excellence in patient care while also educating future anesthesiologists and conducting laboratory and clinical research to advance the field of anesthesiology.
The Division of Research in the Department of Anesthesiology is actively involved in clinical trials and laboratory research aimed at improving anesthesia services in clinical practice and patient care. Our researchers collaborate with medical students and residents, helping pass down the skills and experience necessary to develop the next generation of physician researchers. These efforts are critical to meeting the national mandate for additional clinical and translational research. This includes interdepartmental collaborations, meaning our anesthesiologists work alongside other departments to increase our understanding of anesthesiology and your health.
Available procedures include:
- Ligament or tendon injections
- Scar injections
- Trigger Point injections
- Joint or Bursa injections
- Epidural Adhesiolysis
- Neurolytic injections
- Percutaneous Diskectomy / Nucleoplasty
- Epidural Steroid injections or catheters
- Pain pump implantations, replacements, removals
- Pain pump refills, analysis, & reprogramming
- Spinal cord stimulator implantations, replacements, & removals
- Spinal cord stimulator analysis & programming
- Nerve blocks such as Greater Occipital blocks, Brachial plexus, Intercostal and Femoral.
- Facet Joint Nerve Blocks & Destruction
- Transforaminal epidurals
- Sympathetic blocks such as Stellate Ganglion, Celiac Plexus, etc
- Peripheral nerve stimulator implantations
- Chemodenervation of muscles with botox
- Radiofrequency Ablation procedures
- Nerve Conduction Studies
- Psychological Testing
- Bone Density Studies