DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital draws on the traditions of two community hospitals and combines that history with the strength of a large medical system - The Detroit Medical Center (DMC). The hospital today continues to have deep roots in the community, providing compassionate, personal care backed by advanced medical treatments available locally and throughout the DMC.
A Look at Our Noble Past
Since 1888, two hospitals with roots in the community boldly consolidated services under one roof in April 1999. The former Sinai and Grace hospitals joined to create the leading community academic hospital in northwest Detroit and relocated to the former Mount Carmel Hospital building.
Grace Hospital, founded in 1888, was named after one of the founder's daughters, Grace McMillan Jarvis. Sinai Hospital's roots go back to a clinic opened by Harry Saltzstein, M.D., in 1922. Sinai Hospital first opened its hospital doors in January 1953 to give Jewish healthcare professionals a place to practice and as a central institution for the Jewish community.
A Bright and Promising Future
Between 2012 and 2016, DMC invested $77 million in Sinai-Grace over three phases of construction, making it the largest construction project in Northwest Detroit in over 10 years. Phase I of the project was completed in 2014 and resulted in a new 59,000 square foot Emergency Department and Trauma Center. Phase II was completed in February 2015 and produced two new technologically-advanced, family-centered Intensive Care Units. Phase III resulted in a modern and bright new entrance, expansive 18,000 square foot lobby, new roomy registration suite, and expanded radiology area which all opened in June 2015. Phase III was completed in January 2016 with the opening of the new and expanded laboratory.
Since this major construction project completed in early 2016, Sinai-Grace has continued to invest in the hospital's facility with renovated patient care units, cath lab and advanced surgical technology.
Main Sinai-Grace Hospital Campus Location:
6071 W. Outer Drive
Detroit, MI 48235
Operator: (313) 966-3300
Click here for a downloadable campus map
For a short overview of all of Sinai-Grace’s locations and services.
LifeTrees Sculpture Symbolizes History and Future
Centrally-located in the new expansive lobby of Sinai-Grace are the commissioned artworks of The Nordin brothers from The Detroit Design Center. Fitting with DMC's quest to be an important part of Detroit and support Detroit entrepreneurs, the "LifeTrees" sculptures symbolically tell the story of Sinai-Grace's rich and impactful past, while strongly signaling a bright and influential future in the health of Northwestern Detroiters and the surrounding communities it serves.