Awards & Distinctions
The Detroit Medical Center is continuously honored for the quality of care provided to the community. From patient safety and satisfaction to quality scores and centers of excellence, DMC advances care through knowledge, research and capital investment, always looking for ways to improve the compassionate care of each patient who walks through our doors.
Our awards and medical achievements date back for over a century. We are quite proud of them all, however we know you want to see the latest and greatest and have only included recent awards and other honors.
Scroll down to see a short description of each award. For historical medical achievements, click here to visit our History page.
- Children’s Hospital of Michigan is honored to have been ranked as a Best Children’s Hospital by U.S. News and World Report for the past 14 years and counting.
- DMC is home to 4 verified trauma centers, including two Level I Trauma Centers at Detroit Receiving Hospital and Children’s Hospital of Michigan, one Level II Trauma Center at Sinai-Grace Hospital and one Level III Trauma Center at Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital
- DMC Detroit Receiving Hospital was re-verified as an Adult Burn Center by the American Burn Association through January 2026. Detroit Receiving is home to one of Michigan’s largest adult burn care centers, one of only three dedicated centers in the state, and the only American Burn Association Verified Adult Burn Center in Detroit.
- The Children’s Hospital of Michigan at the Detroit Medical Center (DMC) is among the best in the country in seven (7) pediatric specialties according to by U.S. New and World Report 2017-18 Best Children’s Hospitals rankings. The Children’s Hospital of Michigan is nationally ranked in: Cancer, Gastroenterology & Gastrointestinal Surgery, Nephrology, Neurology & Neurosurgery, Orthopedics, Pulmonology and Urology.
- Children’s Hospital of Michigan is a freestanding Level One Pediatric Trauma Center verified by the American College of Surgeons and a dedicated Pediatric Burn Center, one of a few in the nation to be verified by the American Burn Association (ABA) and the Committee on Trauma of the American College of Surgeons (ACS).
- Children’s Hospital of Michigan has a dedicated pediatric and neonatal intensive care transport ambulance (PANDA) and team staffed by pediatric critical care nurses, with ground and air transport.
- DMC Detroit Receiving Hospital is an Advanced Thrombectomy-Capable Stroke Center (TSC) in collaboration with The Joint Commission and American Heart Association/American Stroke Association
- DMC Harper University Hospital, DMC Detroit Receiving Hospital and DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital have received the American Heart Association’s Get With The Guidelines® Stroke SilverPlus quality award
- DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital is a Primary Stroke Center with Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval for Stroke Care
- DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital received the American Heart Association’s Target: Stroke Honor Roll award
- All DMC adult emergency room locations are designated as Primary Stroke Centers
- The Comprehensive Epilepsy Program at DMC Harper University Hospital is a National Association of Epilepsy Centers verified Level 4 epilepsy center, which provides the highest level of medical and surgical evaluations and treatments for adults with epilepsy.
- DMC Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan is ranked as the one of the Best Physical Rehab Centers in the U.S. by Newsweek
- DMC Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan is accredited for brain injury, amputee, spinal cord injury and stroke specialty programs by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF)
- DMC Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan and DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital are certified American Association of Cardio and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR) Program
- DMC hospitals have been ranked multiple times by U.S. News and World Report as high-performing hospitals in several specialties, including heart attack, heart failure, COPD, gastroenterology & GI surgery, geriatrics, kidney failure and more
- DMC Harper University Hospital is an accredited (since 2015) Comprehensive Bariatric Surgery Center by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP), in partnership with the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) and The American College of Surgeons (ACS)
- DMC Harper University Hospital is recognized as a Blue Distinction Center for stapling procedures and banding procedures by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan
- DMC Harper University Hospital is a Cigna 3-Star Quality Center of Excellence Bariatric Surgery Center, and the first hospital in Michigan to earn the Joint Commission Gold Seal of Approval, Disease Specific Certification for Morbid Obesity
- DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital and DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital are accredited by the American College of Radiology for Radiation Oncology Practice as well as Breast Imaging Centers of Excellence
- Children’s Hospital of Michigan has a Level IV Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, serving the most critically ill infants.
- Children’s Hospital of Michigan is Metro-Detroit’s only center for pediatric heart, kidney and liver transplantation at a freestanding children’s hospital.
- Children’s Hospital of Michigan is a National Association of Epilepsy Centers verified level IV epilepsy center which demonstrates that the Hospital provides the highest level of medical and surgical evaluations and treatments for children with epilepsy.
- DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital has been voted one of the best hospitals by The Spinal Column’s Best of West Oakland Reader’s Choice Awards for four consecutive years
- Trust the pros the pros trust. DMC is the official medical provider of the Detroit Red Wings and Detroit City FC