Tomato and Ricotta Toast
A healthier take on a classic summer breakfast sandwich that uses herbs and whole-grain bread. Be sure to keep it light and go for an Italian seasoning without any added sodium.
- 1 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp. chopped green onions or scallions
- 3/4 tsp. sodium-free Italian seasoning
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 slices whole-grain bread (lowest sodium available)
- 2-3 medium tomatoes, thickly sliced
- In a small bowl, add ricotta cheese, chopped scallions, Italian seasoning, and black pepper. Use a spoon or spatula to combine.
- Meanwhile, toast each bread slice and thickly slice each tomato. To assemble, spread each piece toast with ¼ cup ricotta mixture and top with tomato slices. Serve.
Recipe and photo courtesy of American Heart Association.