Take-a-Break Snack Mix
These not-too-sweet but tasty tidbits are an easy-to-fix munchie you can cook today and pack in individual snack bags for later. For more variety, replace cranberries and blueberries with other dried fruits, such as cherries, apricots and plums.
- non-stick cooking spray
- 1/4 cup sliced, unsalted, unoiled almonds
- 1 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. water
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 cup whole-grain oat cereal with yogurt-flavored coating
- 2 cup whole-grain wheat and bran flakes with raisins
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, dried blueberries
- Put a piece of aluminum foil about 12 inches square on a platter or baking sheet. Lightly spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small nonstick skillet, dry-roast the almonds over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until lightly golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the brown sugar, water, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the liquid has evaporated and the almonds are coated with the mixture, stirring constantly. Transfer to the foil. Let cool completely, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the remaining ingredients.
- Add the cooled almonds to the cereal mixture, stirring to combine. Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
Recipe and photo courtesy of American Heart Association