Keep your ultimate happy food light with this healthier version of popcorn drenched in dried herbs and spices that recreates the flavor you crave without the dreadful additives. You can also use olive oil as another healthy option to drizzle over your popcorn.
- 4 tablespoons canola or corn oil (divided use) or
- 4 tablespoons safflower oil (divided use)
- 3/4 cup popcorn kernels
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried chives (crumbled)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley (crumbled)
- 1 teaspoon dried dillweed (crumbled)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large heavy pot, heat 1 tablespoon oil over high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Add a few popcorn kernels. If they pop, the oil is at the proper temperature to pop the remaining kernels.
- When the oil is hot enough, quickly add the remaining popcorn kernels. Put the lid on the pot. Reduce the heat to medium high. Heat the pot for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the sounds of popping decrease, gently shaking the pot constantly while the kernels pop. Remove from the heat, keeping the lid on the pot (kernels may continue to pop).
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chives, parsley, dillweed, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil.
- Carefully transfer the hot popcorn to a large bowl. Drizzle with the herbed oil, tossing to coat the popcorn.
Recipe and photo courtesy of American Heart Association