Broccoli and Cheese Egg White Scramble on Whole-Wheat English Muffin
Pack more nutrients in your scrambled eggs with finely chopped broccoli florets. Other vegetables like red peppers, green beans and zucchini can also be used to replace broccoli.
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen (thawed) broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 extra-large egg whites or 1 1/4 cups egg white substitute
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 whole-wheat English muffins, split and toasted
- 1/4 cup shredded, fat-free cheddar cheese
- Finely chop broccoli. Coat a large nonstick sauté pan with cooking spray; warm over medium-high heat. Add broccoli and water; stirring frequently, cook until broccoli is limp, around 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer broccoli to a dish.
- In a bowl, add egg whites, milk, and pepper. Whisk together to combine.
- Split and toast each English muffin; set aside.
- Meanwhile, use a paper towel to wipe the sauté pan clean. Coat again with cooking spray and warm over medium-high heat. Add egg whites and use a spatula to stir eggs constantly until whites are almost firm, just a few minutes. Stir in cooked broccoli and cheese; remove from heat.
- To serve, place each English muffin half onto a plate. Divide egg mixture between each muffin, piling high with eggs. Serve with a fork and knife.
Recipe and photo courtesy of American Heart Association.