RiverWalkers is a senior walking program presented by the Detroit Medical Center. Seniors, 55+, are invited to participate in this free program that encourages wellness through walking on the Detroit RiverWalk and fitness classes. We also offer CPR training, blood pressure screenings and one-on-one sessions with DMC physicians. Please consult your physician before starting a walking (or any fitness) program.
We'll walk every Tuesday and Thursday morning in June, July and August. If the weather is bad, check the RiverWalkers website to see if we're still walking. We'll cancel by 6:30 a.m.
To register for RiverWalkers, click here, or come to Rivard Plaza during the program.
How It Works:
- You'll find volunteers from the Riverfront Conservancy waiting to sign you in by your last name at Rivard Plaza 1340 Atwater Street, Detroit. It's important to have a phone number to call "in case of emergency." Help us keep everyone safe and sign in each time you come.
- Every walker gets a free t-shirt when you sign in for the first time during the season
- Gift Giveaways: Special gifts will be given away to attendees at three random dates throughout the summer. Make sure you come every Tuesday and Thursday because you don’t want to miss gift day!
- Refreshments: When you sign in, you will be given a ticket for refreshments. We'll be serving bananas, granola bars and bottled water.
- 8 a.m. – 10 a.m. – Walk the riverfront at your own pace, chat with our DMC doctors one-on-one, learn CPR, get your blood pressure checked by Wayne State University medical students.
- 9 a.m. – 10 a.m. – Visit with your friends and enjoy an exercise demonstration from the DMC Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan.
Parking is available at Rivard Plaza (1340 Atwater Street, Detroit). If the Rivard Plaza parking lot is full, head to the Michigan Outdoor Adventure Center (1801 Atwater Street, Detroit) and park there for free. It’s just a short walk from there to Rivard Plaza. Click here for printer friendly map.
Opening day presentations include fitness features:
- Performance by Cass Tech High School Marching Band
- Special guest speakers
- Exciting fitness program
- Free t-shirts
A special thanks to our partners, the DMC's Rosa Parks Geriatric Center and the Riverfront Conservancy.
Rosa Parks Geriatric Center
The Rosa Parks Geriatric Center was designed to make it easy for you to see your regular doctor. Our geriatricians work with your regular doctor to best manage your health. Nurses specializing in seniors can help you during your regular appointments, as well as when you have to come for special tests, such as lab work.
We get to know you as more than a patient, but as a neighbor and a friend. We offer a full medical team, able to treat the most common problems facing seniors, as well as the most extreme ones. For more information on the Rosa Parks Geriatric Center, click here.
The Riverfront Conservancy
The Detroit RiverFront Conservancy, Inc. was formed as a 501 (c) (3) with the mission of developing access on the Detroit International Riverfront. The entire vision is 5 ½ miles of Riverfront property, from the Ambassador Bridge to Gabriel Richard Park, just east of the Belle Isle Bridge, and will include the construction of a continuous RiverWalk along with plazas, pavilions and green spaces.
The Conservancy is responsible for the improvement, operations, maintenance and programming of the Detroit International Riverfront in perpetuity. For more information on the Riverfront Conservancy click here.
In inclement weather, be sure to check the website to see if River Walkers has been cancelled.