Back to Breaking News
Protect Your Family from These Invisible Killers
They creep into your home, seeping through cracks, drifting through drywall. Odorless, colorless, and tasteless, carbon monoxide (CO) and radon are two toxic gases that can seriously harm you — without your knowing it. Fortunately, you can protect yourself and your family from these invisible killers.
CO is produced when fuel is burned. Potential sources in your home: a faulty furnace, a malfunctioning stove, an improperly vented fireplace. Generators and gas-powered equipment can also emit CO. Using them indoors can result in dangerous amounts of the gas in your home.
At low levels, CO may cause fatigue. Higher concentrations can spawn more serious symptoms, including headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, confusion, and coordination problems. Inhaling too much CO can even lead to death. One study estimated that an average of 439 people die every year from CO poisoning. Thousands more are hospitalized.
A CO detector can alert you to rising amounts of this gas before it becomes lethal. Experts recommend installing one on each level of your home outside sleeping areas. You should consider a detector even if you live in a multifamily dwelling without fuel-burning appliances. A recent study documented how CO can move through drywall, making you vulnerable to the gas if it emanates from your neighbors' homes.
The risk of radon
As the element uranium naturally breaks down, it turns into radon. This gas then seeps up through the soil into the air you breathe. Radon can infiltrate your house through cracks or holes in the foundation. It may also enter through your water supply, particularly if you have a well or another groundwater source.
When trapped inside your home, accumulating radon may cause lung cancer. A recent review of 22 studies on the gas found that people with the most exposure were 29% more likely to develop the disease. Smoking plus radon exposure elevates your risk for lung cancer even more.
A simple test can detect radon in your home. You can buy a test kit at your local hardware store. Place it in your basement or the lowest lived-in level of your home for 2 or more days. If the test shows radon levels of 4 or more picocuries per liter of air, experts recommend fixing your home to reduce exposure.
Other hazardous materials may be hiding in your home. Find out more here.
More Tips for Preventing CO Poisoning
A detector can alert you to CO already in the air. But to help prevent CO problems before they start, pay attention to and properly maintain fuel-burning appliances and devices. Follow these safety tips from the Consumer Product Safety Commission:
Don’t run a car engine or other fuel burner in a garage, even if the doors are open.
Regularly inspect your vehicle for exhaust leaks.
Before cold weather begins, check furnaces, water heaters, wood stoves, portable heaters, and your chimney for leaks and cracks.
Never use a barbecue grill in a garage or other enclosed areas.
When camping, use battery-powered heaters or flashlights in tents, trailers, and motor homes. Never use unvented fuel-burning appliances in enclosed areas, such as a vehicle, camper, trailer, home, or tent.