Stroke Recovery at DMC Harper University Hospital
The multidisciplinary approach of the Comprehensive Stroke Program gives patients access to the most advanced stroke rehabilitation research and therapy. The program partners with the Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan (RIM) to help patients regain speech function and movement after stroke. Patients at the RIM are evaluated in the Center for Stroke Recovery, where they receive state-of-the-art treatment with new devices to maximize their potential for recovery.
Stroke Recovery at DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital
More than 100 stroke patients annually receive care on Sinai-Grace’s specialized 16-bed inpatient Rehabilitation Unit.
Physical and occupational therapists, nurses and speech/language therapists work together to develop a plan to speed a return to work or previous lifestyle. Nurses are certified as Neurodevelopmental Treatment (NDT) specialists and physical therapists are certified as Neurological Clinical Specialists.
The unit has been accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities since 1986.
Stroke Support Services at DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital
A stroke can affect individuals in many ways. People may experience physical, cognitive and/or speaking problems. If you’ve experienced any of these since your stroke, you’ve probably found not many people understand the challenges you face from day to day. This can be a challenging time in your life. You may feel isolated, emotional and have many questions about issues you have never faced before.
Sinai-Grace provides several support groups to help stroke survivors and their families.
Our support groups are based on three key components that are the stepping stones to a full stroke recovery:
- Support: Meetings provide emotional support, encouragement and the opportunity to share common experiences in stroke recovery in a safe and confidential environment.
- Education: Guest speakers address topics such as nutrition, home exercises, coping with stress, spirituality and much more.
- Socialization: Group exercises, crafts and a variety of special events provide a social outlet for stroke survivors, family members and caregivers.
Stepping Stones Stroke Support Group
- When: 2 pm, first Wednesday of the month
- Where: Northwest Activities Center, 18100 Meyers Road, Detroit
- Cost: Free
- Contact: 313-966-9998
Spice of Life Stroke Club - Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan
- When: 3rd Wednesday of every month
- Time: 12:30 - 2:00 p.m.
- Location: Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan, 261 Mack, Detroit
- Contact: 313-745-9790